CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 12, 2009

So this new song "Russian Roulette" by Rihanna is really bothering me. Now if you just listen to it and take it at face value for the words written it's kinda saying that death and a game that potentially ends in suicide is scary but in the end something that's okay to do. If you're not familiar with the lyrics, here they are:

Take a breath, take it deep
Calm yourself, he says to me
If you play, you play for keeps
Take a gun, and count to three
I’m sweating now, moving slow
No time to think, my turn to go

(chorus)
And you can see my heart beating
You can see it through my chest
And I’m terrified but I’m not leaving
Know that I must must pass this test
So just pull the trigger

Say a prayer to yourself
He says close your eyes
Sometimes it helps
And then I get a scary thought
That he’s here means he’s never lost

(chorus)

As my life flashes before my eyes
I’m wondering will I ever see another sunrise?
So many won’t get the chance to say goodbye
But it’s too late to think of the value of my life

(chorus)

and then at the end of the song is a freaking gunshot.

So maybe I just initially see the suicide part because of my history and involvement with that. I actually googled "Rihanna Russian Roulette Meaning" and was able to find a quote from Rihanna herself on what the song is about.

"It was about being in a relationship and being afraid of getting hurt in the end," said Rihanna. "Which is kind of the same feeling you go through playing the game of Russian Roulette. You know that somebody could get hurt in the end, and you're just terrified that it's gonna be you."

I get that she obviously went through a lot in a very public spotlight with Chris Brown and that we write what we now...but here's an idea for a better ending to the song - "click". SURVIVE. Don't take the flipping bullet. Regardless of what this song is meant to represent it really bothers me every time I hear it - honestly I'd rather listen to Britney sing about threesomes *shudder*

0 comments: