CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 9, 2009

Hard Times

So it's obviously no news to anyone that the economy sucks and everyone is having hard times. I may have a job, own my home, and have a car but I, like many others, suddenly found myself accumulating credit card debt. Now for me, it was a personal decision that started the majority of what I currently owe. When Quentin, my kitty, was diagnosed with cancer there was absolutely no pause in whether or not I should treat him. I took a deep breath and handed over my little piece of plastic, same way I do every time he goes in for blood work, an ultrasound, or when I need to refill his prescriptions. On Wednesday he goes in for an ultrasound and if everything goes according to plan he'll be weaned off the chemo and be done with his treatment. But really, this blog isn't about Quentin, it's about people begging for money...

The other day I was walking through the parking lot of Fred Meyer back to my car when a guy in his early to mid-twenties approached me and said that he was really sorry to ask but he was running late to pick up his daughter but he was out of gas and did I have a couple dollars I could give him so he could get her. I said my usual "Sorry, I don't carry cash" and kept on walking. Here's the thing. Tonight I was walking through the parking lot at Target to my car - same guy, same line. I shook my head, laughed, and said "You just used the same line on me two days ago at Fred Meyer." He just mumbled something about how he was supposed to get paid and his check didn't come and blah blah blah. I work hard for my money - so hard for it honey! I work two jobs, six sometimes seven days a week. I'm sorry, I understand that jobs are hard to come by right now but asking me to *give* you my hard earned cash in what turns out to obviously be a scam is redunkulous.

Working in downtown Seattle and waiting for the bus I run into a lot of people asking for "spare change". I've been known to give my leftover lunch to someone sitting on the street, but I will almost never give money. The only exception to that is kids. I know that for kids it's different. For some of course it's just the rebelling and the drugs and the getting away from the parents...but for others it's because there really does seem like there's nowhere to turn. Whether it's abuse, having a family that doesn't accept your sexual orientation, whatever...those are times where I know often the streets seem a lot more appealing than foster care or some of the other options. I still don't like to give money, there's always the thought that it'd be used towards something along the lines of drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes, but the kids I feel a lot worse for because I know that usually it means they've been through something pretty bad.

Don't get me wrong, I know homelessness can happen to anyone. Volunteering at the United Way Community Outreach last year was heartbreaking and eyeopening. Homelessness can be unavoidable - but begging for money is always a choice.

0 comments: